How To Give Your Pet A Tablet
Guidelines on How to Give Your Pet a Tablet
- Hold your cat around the top of its head with your middle finger and thumb at each corner of its mouth. For a dog hold it around the top of its muzzle. Use your left hand if right handed and visa versa.
- Point its chin towards the sky and have someone hold its front paws and body if it wriggles or scratches.
- Hold the tablet in your other hand between your thumb and index finger. Then using the middle finger of the same hand gently pull down on the bottom jaw to open its mouth.
- Once open, place the tablet at the back of the throat and give a quick push of the tablet down the throat with your index finger. Then close its mouth
- Hold their mouth closed while still aiming their chin toward the sky and rub gently under their neck until it has swallowed.
- Reward your pet with affection or a food treat. Pat yourself on the back for doing such a good job!
If this fails you can invest in a pill popper or try the following:
- “Tried, tested and trusted 3 treat method”: Sneak the tablet into really tasty pieces of chicken or fish paste or another suitable treat.
Feed a treat first without any tablet so that your pet doesn’t think there’s something suspicious going on and then follow with the piece that has the tablet in them. Hot on the heels follow up with the 3rd untainted treat that they will hopefully be focusing on while they swallow the 2nd treat with the tablet!
Other suggestions are
- Crush the tablet and mix it into some tasty food.
- Crush the tablet and mix it into some butter, marmite or vegemite that you can smear on the coat as cats will generally lick it off as they groom themselves.
- Crush the tablet and dissolve it into water which can then be syringed in to their mouth.