Vet Tails Excerpt

Vet Tails Excerpt – To read more about my adventures, read Vet Tails available as a book or e-book from

Some animals take whatever opportunity that they can to manipulate things, especially cats who are known to have slaves while dogs have owners! One such cat who took it to the extreme was Cannibal. He weighed in at 8kg (your average cat usually gets to 4,5kg) and had a bit – okay A LOT – of attitude. He seemed to take great pleasure in reminding us who was in charge by swiping his paw at us and hissing viciously whenever we passed by his hospital cage. Cannibal had a bad case of constipation and although he was making good improvement, he would still need to stay in hospital for a little while.


Now a cat bite or scratch is a pretty nasty thing for any human (or cat for that matter) and we take many precautions to avoid such things. Rose had the strategy of keeping cats in hospital who we couldn’t get near enough to handle with a small dog lead around their necks to facilitate easier handling. This would enable us to reach them without having our hands attacked or in the case of Cannibal, ripped right off!


Our wonderfully efficient and always helpful receptionist Jackie, who had an administrative background but enjoyed learning to work in a vet practice, believed that she had gotten the hang of helping us with handling cats – any with a lead she must keep away from – Thanks Jackie!


Anyway we finally nursed Cannibal back to health and happily sent him home only for him to return a couple of days later because his owners were battling to give him his tablets and his condition had deteriorated a bit. So “round two” of hospitalisation began – which thankfully was only a day stay, going home that evening on the condition that if he hadn’t passed any faeces by the next morning then he had to return.


The next morning we held our breath hoping that all was well when Cannibal’s Dad phoned up to report on his progress. He was one of these meticulous owners who kept elaborate records of every important event in Cannibal’s life and he read through what he had documented that night in a slow and steady tone giving nothing away…

8p.m. ate his food

9:43p.m. drank some water

11:05 p.m. urinated

11:10p.m. to 3a.m. slept

3:03a.m. went to the litter tray but nothing passed

3:08p.m. to 8a.m. slept (I’m not too sure when Cannibal’s Dad got any sleep but at this point we were starting to sweat – it sounded like we were going to have to have our charming patient back in hospital again but finally the report ended and much to our relief Cannibal’s Dad got to the point)

“11:12 a.m. he had a lovely bowel motion”


This was not just a relief for Cannibal but definitely a huge relief for us too! Thankfully Cannibal continued to maintain good health but our strategy for his next ailment that required hospitalisation would be to refer him on to some specialist like a wildlife vet to save us having a bit of a hard time!